Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Worth the wait...

I am finally able to report. I have a doctor. 
Actually two. And soon... hopefully, three.

After the last horrible doctor, I just didn't have the energy to deal with all things medical. I took a break and thought I would keep her just because it was easier than continuing the search. But some nagging part of me kept saying... you don't want to settle for a bitch...there has to be a doctor out there for you. So I took charge again and decided to reevaluate the situation. Why were these doctors so outrageously pathetic at dealing with this disorder? What made them so insecure and lacking in bedside manner? And I came to the only conclusion I could draw...they are old. Old and set in their outmoded ways. Old and uneasy around a new class of informed patients. So...out with the old...in with the....(insert sound of light bulb turning on here)...

Resident! Someone fresh out of the academy with the latest knowledge and overflowing with enthusiam. Someone not jaded and comfortable with mediocrity. Someone with a fresh perspective. Someone close to my age that would see me as an equal and not a petulant child. And guess what... I WAS RIGHT! 

Now I have a doctor who gives a shit. She's bright, witty, able to type and listen at the same time. Willing to listen and sort through all my symptoms without once glancing at her watch or reminding me that she needs to get to lunch. Someone who believes that pain medication is not such a big deal in light of my condition and has a plan to go forward with further tests and treatment plans. Someone who wants to work with a rheumatologist and neurologist in order to find a way for me to live again.

About.  Fucking.  Time.    Holy shit, was that an ordeal.
and that's all the expletives I will use on the matter. I am now going to celebrate with a video game and a giant sigh of relief. Oh... that and some pain medication... bad pain day but good mental day! Aw well... you win some...

1 comment:

  1. woohoo! great news lisa...i'm so glad you followed your gut and went seeking for what you truly deserve. We have to keep these doctors on their toes; were dealing with the same kind of medical crap with Andrew, though I worry that the residents we've come across are being taught in black and white. I need outside the box thinkers!!
    Thank you for sharing mama!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete